Prev: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report Next: Re: Solitaire robots for FT

Re: Stargrunt Support Weapons

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:16:21 -0800
Subject: Re: Stargrunt Support Weapons

At 03:41 PM 3/4/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>If I understand rightly, in SG2, if you are firing a support weapon
>on its own, you get a firepower die, and a quality die. If you fire
>using firecontrol, you roll quality and fire control.
>
>Let's say I've got a decent support weapon with D10 firepower
>(although using a bipod or some such), and a D8 quality die. That's
>fairly dangerous as an attack.
>
>Change that to an RFAC/1 which is actually probably more dangerous in
>a real world sense (a .50 M2HB on a NHT or a M234 Gatling on a NHT),
>and it becomes less effective instead of more (like I think it
>should). You roll fire control die (D4 or D6) and your quality die
>(D8). Does anyone notice how much weaker this is? Wowzers!
>
>Perhaps one should be rolling firepower die too.....

	Remember that a Heavy weapon (the RFAC in this case) has a range
band of
12 inches versus a size one vehicle or a squad of men.	Against a size 2
vehcile it has a range band of 24 and sop on...  The SAW has a range
band
that is dependant on the quality of the troops firing it.
	Therefore a regular squad firing a SAW against a target squad in
the open
24 inches away with a SAW of FP D10 rolls a D10 and a D8 against a D10.
Meanwhile the same squad firing an RFAC 1 with basic FC (D6) rolls a D6
and
a D8 versus a D6.  Not only does the RFAC have a better chance of
getting a
hit but the number of hits will be higher as the damage denominator is
now
6 vice 10...

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report Next: Re: Solitaire robots for FT