Prev: Re: FMA Skirmish game Next: I need help ID'ing Trav. 15mm and Spacelords 25mm

Re: Care and Feeding of Dice (was Re: GZG East Coast Con Report)

From: Christopher Pratt <valen10@f...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 09:44:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Care and Feeding of Dice (was Re: GZG East Coast Con Report)

Jerry 'Ghoti' Han wrote:

> Aaron P Teske wrote:
> > Excerpts from FT: 4-Mar-98 Re: GZG East Coast Con Report by John
> > Leary@sj.bigger.net
> > >	   I personally feel that you do not give your dice proper
> > > affection training.   My dice like blue velvet (Crown Royal) bags
> > > and Stauss waltzes, the "Radesky waltz' is a favorite the night
> > > prior to a club meeting.	 I save the 'Blue Danube' for after the
> > > game.
> >

> [MUNCH]
>
> > But as soon as I'm rolling to hit with pulse torps, it all goes to
pot.

> What about my !@#$@!$!@! Dalmation Dice?
>
> Background:  I've got 36 dice, small, with little dalmation spots all
> over them.  Perfect for games like Shadowrun where you can roll
> hideous amounts of d6's, and they work just dandy.
>
> I discovered at the Con that they do not like Full Thrust, at all.
> It got so bad that I used other people's dice, and then I had other
> people pinch roll for me, with other people's dice.  People will
> testify to the bad karma I had with those damn things.
>
> I think a little remedial training is in order.  (8-)
>
> Trying to bring this thread back to GZG (8-):  All this argument about
> dice makes me wonder what 'tools' do you bring to a GZG game?  Do
> people have a 'lucky' tape measure or turn gage or set of dice that
> the bring whenever possible?	Do you expect the person hosting the
> game to have most of the supplies you need on hand, or do you bring
> your customized set?

I have something like 200 plus dice that i carry around in a twix tin,
and before i start
playing a game i get all the die types that are needed out of the tin
and into a pile,
then as I am playing and a die starts failing me i tos it back into the
tin untill i have
gone thru all my dice, then i start over.

> It would be interesting to find if there was some sort of
> informal 'etiquette' when it came to minature gaming.  For example,
> in RPGs, everybody has their own bag of dice it seems.  I also
> heard from a friend that a friend of his really bought into SPW and
> GDW wargames, where you get those little D6es; so he ended up with
> a couple dozen of the buggers.  Whenever he lost, and he thought it
> was the dices fault, he would take the pair of dice he used, and beat
> them with a hammer until they were nice and shattered.

I had a friend once get so mad at his lousey rolling that he threw a six
sider at the
table as hard as he could, which broke the die clean in half (both haves
fit back together
really well), the funny part is that after that we all rolled really
well for the rest of
the evening, like he scarded the rest of the dice into behaving or
something :)

> I would expect that everybody would have their favourite set of dice,
> but you know what happens when you assume things.  (8-)
>
> J.
> --
>  *** Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan ***
>	 "And we will raise our hands, and we will touch the sky;
>		Together we will dance in robes of gold;
>     And we will leave the world remembering when we were kings..."
>	When We Were Kings - Brian McKnight/Diana King - TBFTGOGGI

Christopher Pratt
Valen10@flash.net

Prev: Re: FMA Skirmish game Next: I need help ID'ing Trav. 15mm and Spacelords 25mm