Prev: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report Next: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report

DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 14:53:05 -0800
Subject: DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC

Hello,
	Paul, Miguel and I have been playing StarGrunt for quite a while
using my
point system adapted from DirtSide and Steve Gibson's ideas.
	One of the interesting ideas was how to generate heavy weapons
squads,
spcifically one using the equivelent of a .50 machine gun on a tri-pod.
The first idea was to look at the APSWs given in the list, but these are
more like  a M-60 .30 machine gun and they do not gain any benefit from
stablized platform as they are not heavy weapons.
	Therefore, I went ahead and adapted the RFAC in StarGrunt.  It
counted as
a heavy weapon with a stabalized platform and could have a firecontrol
built in.  It would be a crew served weapon and have a range band of 12
inches.  I know that the rules would bring the FP rating down to a D8,
but
this is rediculous as a chain gun or its equivelent is as effective of a
anti-personnel weapon as it is againts light targets.  It puts up a
sufficient volume of fire to meet a Leinchester model to hit dispersed
targets without having to fire special rounds.
	We have run it in several games and it has worked well with a
good balance.
RFAC/1	FireControl	Impact		Cost
	none	D4	1 chit/D10	5
	Basic	D6	1 chit/D10	7
	Enhanced D8	1 chit/D10	9
	Superior D10	1 chit/D10	11

GAC/1	FireControl	Impact		Cost
	none	D4	1 chit/D12	6
	Basic	D6	1 chit/D12	8
	Enhanced D8	1 chit/D12	10
	Superior D10	1 chit/D12	12

	In DirtSide, I reccommend that a Gauss Auto Cannon be built and
operated
like a RFAC but with a cost multiple of 6 and add 2 inches onto each
range
band.
	Meanwhile the SAW on a vehicle costs 4 points and the APSW for
an infantry
unit costs 10.	Does not work for me.  I propose that the free APSW on a
vehicle and the 4 point costing ones from there are the Squad Assault
Rifle
listed in the point system(FP = D8 Impact = D10 cost =4).
	However, a Squad Assault Weapon mounted on a vehicle or placed
on its
tripod in a fixed position should gain some benefit from the stability
versus when fired on the move.
	Therefore, I reccomend that a SAW on a vehicle or fired from a
squad "in
position" gain a beneficial shift up one on its FirePower die in
StarGrunt
to reflect the increased effective range.
	Meanwhile, in DirtSide, RFAC and GAC 1s & 2s should draw three
chits vice
two against infantry units.  You'll be surprised to see that RFACs
medium
range is 12 inches (must be within medium to hit infantry), the same
range
as an APSW...
	Instead, I suggest that an infantry squad that has a SAW in
them, fires 8
inches, just like a powered armor unit and draws three damage chits,
just
like a PA unit.  The "heavy rifles" that a PA unit has, reflects the
same
thing.
	I'll see if there is a formula similar to my armor versus squad
hits that
works as well.
	Therefore, you could do a couple things.  Purchase crew weapons
squads
with a	RFAC or GAC for the points listed above and give their weapons
the
ability to hit infantry and soft armor. Or purchase a SAW squad for 4
points and give them the impact capability of a PA squad.
	Perversely you could run a mini-StarGrunt scenario with the
adjusted scale
of 1 DS inch =	10 SG inches, but this could lose the speed of DS in a
large game and is not reccomended...
	Feedback is apreciated and comments by those who have played
with these is
requested.  (Miguel? Paul?...)
		Phil P.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report Next: Re: GZG East Coast Con Report