Prev: Re: DS Rule Clarifications Next: RE: SFB Conversions

Re: Custom Mini Moulds

From: carlparl@j... (Carl J Parlagreco)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:06:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Custom Mini Moulds

Okay, here's a weird thought. Has anybody ever worked with that stuff
from the hardware stores for dipping tools into? I believe it's a rubber
or plastic or something. I don't know how flexible it is, so I don't
know
if it would be any good for making a mold. I just thought I'd ask.

On Sun, 01 Mar 1998 23:35:11 +1100 "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee@wr.com.au>
writes:
>Making 2 peice moulds is not hard. When you are making the modeling
>clay
>base for the model to be pressed into, just use a blunt instrument to
>make
>a few vaguely conical or 1/2 round dimples in the corners. When you
>make
>pt.2 just ensure that the rubber flows into the holes - you don't even
>have
>to worry too much about air bubbles in the hole really, just enough to
>locate the pieces.
>
>If you have problems with surface bubbles, buy some of the cheap nylon
>paint brushes that are sold in bargain stores for little kids to play
>with
>- usually a card of 10 or so brushes. I then used this to paint the
>rubber
>onto the model and work it into the detail ensuring a complete skin -
>you
>still have the inevitable small bubbles in the body of the mould but
>these
>are less of a problem.
>
>This has worked for me for some time, but I now have access to a
>vacuum
>chamber to de-air my rubber, and when I get off my backside, the resin
>for
>25mm vehicle models (I'm using 1 piece main moulds with a non detailed
>plug
>of silicone to reduce the ammount of resin).
>
>IMHO small models are easier cast in tin/lead - I have scrounged old
>pewter
>from charity stores and keep all my trimmings - you get a hard model
>but
>the detail is ok & you don't burn the mould like happens if you use
>pure
>lead - these lead figures are the ones you see with dud paint jobs and
>blobby detail for sale at small cons.
>

>You can also save about a teaspoon of rubber when making moulds for
>lead by
>making a basic pouring gate of clay and attaching it to the clay pad.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Re: DS Rule Clarifications Next: RE: SFB Conversions