Prev: SGII: Transfering Action Example Please? Next: Re: Custom Mini Moulds

Re: DS Rule Clarifications

From: carlparl@j... (Carl J Parlagreco)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:02:42 -0500
Subject: Re: DS Rule Clarifications

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 18:53:39 +1000 "Paul O'Grady" <paulog@one.net.au>
writes:
>Owen Glover and I were playing an attack/defence DS2 game on the
>weekend
>and found a few things we would like clarified:
>
>Woods and GEV/Grav Vehicles:
>GEV and Grav vehicles are prohibited from entering woods...not even
>the edges.  Surely  if a tracked vehicle can go through then a Grav
>vehicle can glide through the same path, even a bit faster becasue its
meter or
>2 above the ground and avoiding logs etc ?  In the scenario, all the
I should think there would be places the tanks could go that the Grav
vehicles couldn't. An orchard or forest, for instance, with trees small
enough for the tanks to just knock right over. Maybe the grav vehicles
wouldn't have enough "traction" to knock them down, and so would have to
go around (or follow a tracked vehicle through).

>Hidden Units:
>According to the rules, a hidden unit is revealed the first time it is
>activated or an opposing player's unit has LOS to it.	Again, the
>defenders
>were dug in/hidden etc but on the first activation of the first turn a
>single vehicle topped a hill and just about everything was revealed !
>This seems a bit unrealistic given that the defenders were in prepared
>positions.  We decided that for the rest of the game, hidden units
I think you're right--if the defenders are hunkered down, trying not to
be seen, they shouldn't be spotted right away. Now, maybe there are
going
to be some locations that look really _obvious_ for defenders to be
hiding in. But that doesn't mean there's anybody there. Let the attacker
shoot up the bushes on "spec fire".

>CC and Follow Ups:
>The follow up after successful CC move was used heaps.  Is there any
>limit to how many follow ups a unit can do ?  We had a Power Armour
platoon
>infiltrate an urban area (where the HQ troop and a BR Grav Vehicle
>was) and
>move into CC with a dismounted Observer.  He retired form the combat
>(suprisingly).  The PA followed up and CCed the HQ guys.  They fell
>back.	The PA followed up and CCed the Grav Vehicle, etc.  Can they
really
>keep going and going as long as they win and pass the CONF check for
the

>follow up move ?  It seemed like they would cross the whole board in 1
>activation!
I don't remember exactly, but my feeling was that there would be one
followup, but maybe I'm reading more into it than what the rules
actually
said.

>Does anyone have any ideas ?
Oh, *lots* of 'em. :-)

>PS Can infantry ride Tanks ? Couldn't find any references to it.
I don't see why not, it was done quite a bit in WWII. The Russians had
dedicated units of tank riders (and those units had, I'm led to believe,
horrendous casualty rates), and other infantry would hitch rides
whenever
they could. Now, how much of the time they'd ride into battle, I don't
know. but I see no reason why a tank couldn't have a bunch of grunts
hanging on to the outside. Just expect to take a bunch of casualties if
it gets hit.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: SGII: Transfering Action Example Please? Next: Re: Custom Mini Moulds