Prev: Re: DS Rule Clarifications Next: LONDON THRUST

Re: Custom Mini Moulds

From: "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee@w...>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 23:35:11 +1100
Subject: Re: Custom Mini Moulds

Making 2 peice moulds is not hard. When you are making the modeling clay
base for the model to be pressed into, just use a blunt instrument to
make
a few vaguely conical or 1/2 round dimples in the corners. When you make
pt.2 just ensure that the rubber flows into the holes - you don't even
have
to worry too much about air bubbles in the hole really, just enough to
locate the pieces.

If you have problems with surface bubbles, buy some of the cheap nylon
paint brushes that are sold in bargain stores for little kids to play
with
- usually a card of 10 or so brushes. I then used this to paint the
rubber
onto the model and work it into the detail ensuring a complete skin -
you
still have the inevitable small bubbles in the body of the mould but
these
are less of a problem.

This has worked for me for some time, but I now have access to a vacuum
chamber to de-air my rubber, and when I get off my backside, the resin
for
25mm vehicle models (I'm using 1 piece main moulds with a non detailed
plug
of silicone to reduce the ammount of resin).

IMHO small models are easier cast in tin/lead - I have scrounged old
pewter
from charity stores and keep all my trimmings - you get a hard model but
the detail is ok & you don't burn the mould like happens if you use pure
lead - these lead figures are the ones you see with dud paint jobs and
blobby detail for sale at small cons.

You can also save about a teaspoon of rubber when making moulds for lead
by
making a basic pouring gate of clay and attaching it to the clay pad.

Prev: Re: DS Rule Clarifications Next: LONDON THRUST