Prev: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!? Next: Read: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

From: Darren Douglas <ddouglas@v...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:43:22 -0500
Subject: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

> Actually, with the proper systems, it shouldn't be that much of a
problem.
> If you have a fast enough computer to analyze what you're tracking, a
> sensitive enough detector, and a fast enough drive mechanism, you
ought to
> be able to lock onto anything within your operating parameters.
Visual-type
> telescopes (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to above)
wouldn't be
> what you'd want, though. For the most part, their field is too
restricted.
> Radar would be far preferable. Radar can cover an area of sky, and
report to
> the computer where the targets are, which can tell whatever it needs
to tell
> where something is. But you prolly already figured that bit out.  ;-)
>
> While I don't have direct experience with them, I'm sure NORAD uses a
battery
> of radars to keep track of the God-knows-how-many objects that are
floating
> around in orbit up there, and I *think* they track things as small as
> quarter, maybe a bit smaller. Impossible to do visually.

One thought, would this not lead to stealth muntions, muntions which are
harder to detect and therefore intercept. Or muntions which on closing
with the
target
or being hit with a radar beam of a certain strength ( ie active
tracking vers
passive search)
deploy a large number of warheads, some decoys etc to swamp the
defenses.

Darren

Prev: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!? Next: Read: DS2/SG2 Camouflage