Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage Next: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

RE: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:58:19 -0000
Subject: RE: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

Some good replies on this interesting topic

I did see a TV article on using bright light as camoflage
It showed a sky-lined tank covered with bright lights and
at a distance you just couldn't see it, sort of active dazzle
pattern.

Regarding chamelon skins, the humble cuttlefish has a
much more felxible system that allows it to change color
so rapidly it flashes. It has small vacuoules of pigment
in its skin which it can expand rapidly. By combining these
it can cover a huge range of colors and patterns.

for painiting lots of AFV at 6mm, I have tried various schemes
and techniques

Using air brush masks is difficult to get a clean effect.
I also wrapped the mini in a net-curtain with a non regular
pattern and sprayed it. the results unusual pattern scheme.
Air brushes can produce interesting spatter schemes if you
use lower air pressure or thicker paint. Other experiments
where using foam tip make-up brushes for splodge patterns.

In the end the best results were by hand painting the
scheme with a brush. I derived and abstracted
NATO and WARSAW pact type schemes as they were simple.

Basically woodland green and black big stripes with brown
and white highlights, to match my scenery hues.
To differentiate side I use slightly different hues and patterns.

I plan to create a desert set and an ice set, using
simple sand/pink and white/grey combinations. As
this is a lot of metal its going to be a
base/wash/drybrush scheme.

Brian - your picture at
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
is too dark to see any detail but the light squiggles,
looks like a lot of work although a very nice effect.

IIRC GZG used to do a painting service on their 25mm stuff
and they had a nice futuristic blob on a base cote scheme
which you can make out in the old catalogues and rule books.

sincerely
tim jones
--------
Reality is for those who can't cope with Science Fiction.

Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage Next: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage