Prev: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles Next: DS2 vs SG2 Armor

Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

From: Brian Bell <Brian.Bell@a...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:54:00 -0700
Subject: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

> High-tech 'sticky-wire' sounds interesting - maybe have a couple kinds
of
> wire, from 'old-style' steel/alloy razorwire, then exotic-materials
'wire'
> (Hammer's Slammers has 'berilium (sp) netting'), up to 'sticky' or
> 'smart' wire - imagine nano-tech wire that moves to grab and cut units
> moving into its range - nasty...

Or Flatwire (similar to monowire but 1 molecule wide x 10 deep x length
of wire) that has a dual-state memory (triggered by an electrical
charge). Flatwire has the advantage of being more managible than
monowire, but almost as deadly. You run into a stretch of coiled
flatwire and call in the engineers. While the engineers are removing it
someone flips a switch and the wire suddenly recoils from clockwise to
counter clockwise! Everyone in the area has a BAD day.

> Regarding pits - in DS2 scale, 1" = 100 meters - that's either a
_very_
> large pit, or it's not worth digging - it just won't show up at DS2's
> level of terrain detail...for SG2, though...I like the idea of
> monomolecular-spiked tiger-traps...high-tech Viet Cong?

Or with grids of monowire.

> Another interesting point I haven't see anyone take is the Grav Tanks
> vs. Tracklayers or ACV. You say "But grav are better! They can fly!"
What is the maximum operating height of a Grav Vehicle? I would suggest
anything over 2m must be costed as a VTOL. I know that Grav Vehicles can
jump small trees in SG2, but not in DS2. At 2m or less, bottom armor may
not be as important.

--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html

Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb

Prev: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles Next: DS2 vs SG2 Armor