Prev: Re: Fighter Balance Issues (LONG) Next: Re: Fighter Balance Issues (LONG)

Re: DSII damage chit chart.

From: Matthew Seidl <seidl@v...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:41:21 -0700
Subject: Re: DSII damage chit chart.

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:03:46 -0800, "George,Eugene M" writes:
>For my $, I was willing to take a ding on skewing the probabilities
>moving from the chit-draw to a d% based system, as long as all the
>players in the game are using the same system I feel  that there is
>little lost. I am certainly unwilling to develop a system that takes
>into account the probabilities of consecutive chit draws, that is
>unecessary IMO. If anyone is willing to post the probability tables I'd
>look at 'em though.

There is NO "taking account of the probabilities of consecutive chit
draws"!

Just reroll any set of dice equal to a previous set till they are all
unique numbers.  This will give the same distribution as drawing chits.

Lets do a simple example, 10 chits (all different) draw 2.

If we actually draw the chits, we have a 1/10th chance of each chit on
the first draw, and a 1/9th chance of each remaining chit on the
second draw.

If we roll a 10 sides die, we have a 1/10th chance of each number of
the first roll.  On the second roll we have a 1/10th chance of each
number again, but 1 out of 10 throws results in a re-roll (i.e. we
rolled the same number as the first roll). So the probability of
getting any remaining number on the second roll is 0.1 + 0.01 + 0.001
+ 0.0001 etc (up to a infinite number of re-rolls) = 0.111111111 ==
1/9th.

If you roll the first result, roll the second chit, just re-rolling
any time you get the same number as a previous result, you should get
the exact same distribution as drawing chits.

(All of this assumes perfect dice, chips, cup, etc)

-=- Matthew L. Seidl		email: seidl@cs.colorado.edu
   =-=
=-= Graduate Student			Project . . . What Project?
   -=-
-=- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/Home.html 	 -Morrow Quotes
   =-=
=-= http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/lawsuit
   -=-

Prev: Re: Fighter Balance Issues (LONG) Next: Re: Fighter Balance Issues (LONG)