Prev: Re: Another fighter question Next: Re: Dimension

Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:43:32 -0800
Subject: Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)

. wrote:

> >----------
> >From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@sympatico.ca>
> >To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> >Subject: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background)
> >Date: Saturday, February 14, 1998 11:26 PM
>
> Speaking of autonomous fighters... anyone read "Ender's Game" by Orson
> Scott Card?
> That had a pretty neat twist on the whole fighter philosophy
(instantaneous
> communication with fighters at the alien home-world sorta thing), I
just
> don't remember if they were remotely piloted or human piloted. I
believe
> they were remotely-piloted (that was the point.. having children
control
> them (better reflexes) all the while thinking they were playing a
game.. ).

IIRC, the fleet was human controlled, and "brillant" children actually
ran it.
The first part of the book covered how Ender was singled out as the best
tactician available.  The other part had him "playing" wargames.  At the
end
they told him that he was really commanding the human fleet against the
"bugs".  Way Cool!  8D

> Instantaneous communication (another thread) puts a whole new twist on
the
> space combat arena. Then it becomes a war of attrition and technology
> fought from systems (galaxies?) away. Who can build the most RPF's
with the
> best AI. Tactics and good 'ol game play are right out the window. The
> modern equivelant would be the Tomahawk Missile.
>
> I think that it is not too far fecthed to have one or the other
technology
> in a "world", but together they  cause huge gameplay gaps, as well as
> plausability issues.
>
> >It looks like the autonomous fighter debate (which, funny enough, was
> >only a side comment on Jon's background) has ground to a halt. It was
> >quite interesting and very informative.
>
> Just wanted to get my say-so in there before the thread went away...
>
> Joe
> scylla@omeganet.es
>
> Is there a Dirtside GZG list? This list is named FTGZG, is there a
DSGZG or
> equivelant?

  No this list covers all GZG game products.

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Another fighter question Next: Re: Dimension