Prev: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout Next: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout

Re: FTIII Rules Tryout

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 19:49:32 -0800
Subject: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout

John Leary wrote:

> Jon T.
>      I wish to say up front that I am having a bad week and
> am overstressed.   So please take this with a grain of salt
> if I look to be going a bit too far.

It's ok,    how many of us HASN'T had a bad week now and then...8)

> Note:   The following comments a based on a PARTIAL use of the
> FTIII design and combat rules.
>
>      The results of the monthly club meeting follow:
> Two FT games were presented one was FTII (By John Fox) and
> the second was FTIII (By Phil Pournelle)
>
> John Fs game was an attack on a station protecting a system
> with a supporting fleet.   The attacking fleet consisted of
> 5 capitals, 6 fighters, and 17 supporting ships.
> The defending force consisted of the station, 5 capitals,
> 9 fighters, and 14 supporting ships.
>      The result was basically a draw, the attacking fleet
> badly damaged the defending fleet and had no weapons
> usable against a three screen station.   The attacking
> fleet (including me) withdrew
>      The point of the above is that the entire game took
> three and a half hours, start to finish, with more than
> fourty ships on the board.
>
> Phil P. presented an FTIII based game using the FTIII design
> rules.   The points on each side: 830 +/- 5.	 The attacking
> force was 2 capitals, 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers.   The defenders
> had 1 capital, 3 cruisers, 4 destroyers. (As best I recall, I
> never saw the defenders sheets.)
>      The result was once again a draw (stratigic victory to the
> defense).   Not one ship was lost in combat in a game that lasted
> almost three hours.  (two attacking DDs were down to the last
> hit points.)
>      The point of the above is that the game while well run was
> rather dull.

>   Others may add thier comments to what I have written, comments

> from the other side will have a different perspective (and correct
> errors I may have made).
>
> Bye for now,
> JOHN L.

  Got a question.   The two scenarios sound interesting.   How did the
battles play out?  Were the players pulling their punches (ie, no
aggressive actions) or was it a case of bad die rolls?

In my own games (regardless of system), my friend and I, rarely played
more
than 5 turns....We were usually very distructive.  8D

(No offence...every battle goes differently..)

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout Next: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout