Prev: Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish) Next: Re: EFSB, Cheat Sheet Tables!

Re: FT Fighters & Cancon report

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:04:00 +1000
Subject: Re: FT Fighters & Cancon report

Just had a most enjoyable competition at CANCON (here in Australia).

Rules changes:
C class batteries have no anti-fighter ability.
ADAFs can fire at any fighter, 2 rolls at 6", 1 roll at 12".
PDAFs can fire at any fighter, 1 roll at 6".
Order of movement:
Fighters move 1/2
Ships Move
Fighters move 1/2

Mines greatly increased in effectiveness.

Order of firing : Side A ship fires, and fires PDAFs/ADAFs, then any
fighter targetting it fires. Side B ship fires, then fires PDAFS etc

Some additional ships - small System Defence ships, Bases, Anti-Fighter
escorts, apart from that standard FT and MT Human ships (not missile).

Scenario 1 : 1850 pt fleets each, start from table edge. No more than
925 in Capital ships apart from carriers.
Scenario 2/3: 800 pts + 2 Light Cruisers and 2 LR Fighter Groups each,
but the largest ship available was a destroyer, and no more than 200 pts
in couriers etc

Scenario 4/5 : 1150 defence + Mines vs the 1850 pt fleet + Minesweepers.
Time limited, attacker had to win in 8 turns, and if over 12, lost big
time.
Scenario 6: 1850 pts, both sides jump in.
Scenrio 7: As 1.

My fleet was 2 CVs + 1 CVE, 6 Torp Fighters, 6 Heavy Fighters, 2
Interceptors.
Both times I came against a non-all-carrier fleet with it, I won in a
big way. I lost massively as the attacker in the attack/defence due to
bad die rolls, one blunder regarding distance from a Nova Mine, and an
opponent far too good not to take full advantage.

Win, Lose or Draw, I had a great time though. It did convince me though
that the PDAF/ADAF variant in this competition is a) simpler in
mechanics, speeding play b) leads to more subtlety and tactical richness
as regards escorting high-value targets, and c) More balanced.
 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish) Next: Re: EFSB, Cheat Sheet Tables!