Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: Age and Complexity

Complexity/Campaigns

From: DrRokter <DrRokter@a...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:16:19 EST
Subject: Complexity/Campaigns

As there's been a fair bit of duscussion on this list recently on the
subject
of age and complexity, I thought I'd add my tuppence/two cents (delete
according to country of origin) worth.

I've been playing wargames with the same group of people since the age
of 14,
(though I did have a few years off to get a life). We're all now 30
somethings, (I'm the youngest at 31), though only one of us has kids. I
think
the main reason 'older' gamers like simple rules is mostly to do with
time and
lifestyle constraints. We meet one evening a week, and by the time
everyone
gets home from work, eats, feeds the cat etc., there are only about 3
hours in
which to play. Also, the last thing anyone needs after a long stressful
day at
work is an evening spent leafing through a rulebook that makes War &
Peace
look like a postcard.

That's why a game like Full Thrust is so appealing - you can easily play
fairly large game in that time, and you can keep 90% of the rules in
your head
without ever refering to the book. The great thing about a simple rule
system
is that it allows you to concentrate on gameplay and tactics, which for
me is
ultimately what it's all about.

This leads me to my question. Does anyone out there have or know of a
really
simple set of campaign rules for FT? I mean really simple. All the
campaign
rules I've seen on the net look really good, but there is no way I could
ever
get my gaming friends to find time to read them let alone play them. I
need a
system that doesn't require massive amounts of bookkeeping (preferably
none at
all), and in which the turns are fast, so that we can sit down and play
a few
campaign turns and fight maybe a couple of battles in an evening.
Possibly
even a set of mini campaign rules that would interface with Dirtside.

OK, I hear you say, if that's what you want why don't you shut up and
write
them yourself. Well, I suppose I might just do that.. one day ... when I
get
the time. But if anyone out there has already beaten me to it then you'd
be
making a lazy man very happy.

Matt Hill
DrRokter@aol.com

Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: Age and Complexity