Prev: Re: Dragon Twins - New Kyoto Blockade Next: Re: Systems

Re: HELP NEEDED FROM OVERSEAS LIST MEMBERS!

From: Rob Paul <rpaul@w...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:07:00 +0000
Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED FROM OVERSEAS LIST MEMBERS!

At 19:54 19/01/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>This is a request for help from any list members (overseas or not) who
have
>good knowledge of certain languages ("I speak two: English and
>Profane...").
SNIP

>Navy (or Fleet)
>
>Space Navy/Space Fleet/Space Force (whatever term would be most likely
>be used in the given language)
>
>plus any translations of ship type names (Cruiser, Destroyer,
Battleship
>etc.) and Naval Ranks (officers and ratings) from the relevant national
>navies (ie: present-day counterparts).
>
>I need these in a) German, for the NSL; b) French (and maybe Italian as
>well) for the FSE; c) Russian and/or Chinese for the ESU.
SNIP
>BTW, if anyone would like to contribute similar translations in any
other
>languages, for forces such as the Islamics (maybe Iranian?), Japanese
>defence fleet, Pan-Africans, Scandinavian Federation (Swedish?), New
>Israelis etc., these would be gratefully received as well for future
>use.....
>

>Thanks in anticipation,
>
>Jon (GZG)

I did a Higher in Russian at school, and have a long-standing interest
in
the Soviet armed forces, so here goes:

NB, remember Russian adjectives etc change with gender, so -aya endings
go
with -a nouns, and -iy with (most) consonants.

Fleet				Flot
Military			Voyenniy
Sea				Morskoi
Space				Kosmicheskiy
Force				Voiska

Space Fleet			Kosmicheskiy Flot
Space Force			Kosmicheskaya Voiska
Space Navy			Voyenno-Kosmicheskiy Flot

Admiral 			Admiral
Vice-Admiral			Vitse-Admiral
Captain 			Kapitan
Lieutenant			Leytenant
Sailor				Matros

Ship				Korabl'
Battleship			Liney Korabl' "Ship of the line"
Cruiser 			Kreyser
				(Raketniy=Missile, Legkiy=Light, Bolshoi
or
Tyazhyoliy=Large or				    Heavy, Broniy=
Armoured)
Destroyer			Eskadrenniy Minonosyets (literally
"Squadron
Minelayer")
Frigate\escort			Storozhevoy Korabl' (Escort or Guard
Ship)

Submarine			Podvodnaya lodka (Underwater Boat)

Cutter (incl. missile boats)	Kater
Fast				Skoriy
Anti-				Protiv eg Protivozduchniy=Anti-air,
Protivolodochniy= Anti-submarine
Cruise missile			Krylataya Raketa
Nuclear (powered)		Atomniy

	They liked 3-letter type abbreviations and often used
constructions
like "Large Anti-submarine Ship":  Bolshoi Protivolodochniy Korabl'
(BPK)
eg Kresta II; Raketniy Kreyser (RKR) eg Kirov

	Any navy with a Russian tradition would be certain to have a
ship
named "Pamyat Merkurya", after a heroic vessel from the wars against
Turkey.
If they're lefties, Potemkin, of course, and heaps of "place-name
Komsomolyets" and "Red place-name" ships.  Rurik is a good bet for any
Russians.

That's all I can think of off the cuff;  I can probably find more if
needed.

Rob

"Rob Paul

Dept of Zoology
Oxford University
South Parks Road
Oxford
(01865) 271124
"Once again, villainy is rotting meat
before the maggots of justice!"
"

Prev: Re: Dragon Twins - New Kyoto Blockade Next: Re: Systems