Prev: Systems Next: Re: DS II Figures

Re: Computer Full Thrust

From: Thomas Corcoran <tomnaro@c...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 02:29:33 -0800
Subject: Re: Computer Full Thrust

TJ wrote:
> "Wouldn't it be cool to have a compute version?".
>
> Computer Full Thrust (CFT)
> A computer version of FT should remain faithful to the miniatures
> game.  The simultaneous movement system is perfect for play over the
> net.	The miniatures rules look like they would translate nicely to
> the computer.  An interesting thing about a computer version is the
> ability to tryout different ship designs.

Well,
	Way back in 1980 (High School) I wrote a little fleet combat
game.  It
used a flat 2D playing field since I couldn't come up with a decent 3D
display.  It was an exercise in computer math more than anything else. I
have recently upgraded the program with a windows interface (as a test
bed for interface design.)
	Although the combat model is fairly simple, the movement system
is
similar to FT.	The interface supports a massive playing field, several
zoom levels, and view centering. It was originally written as a two
player game, but can now support ten players with 100 ships each.  Each
player has a password to prevent his position from being revealed.
Naturally, the games in progress can be saved to disk.	(That might make
it useful for EMail games.)
	Full Thrust players could use the program to track fleet
positions
without using the combat model.  (The CM is a little off topic for this
message.)  All combat would be resolved using dice and paper.  The
program would just replace the table and minis (Yea, I know we all love
out minis.)
	The program is NOT in any state that I can send it to anyone, so
please
don't flood me with requests.  However, if you have any comments feel
free to email me.

Tom
tomnaro@calweb.com

Prev: Systems Next: Re: DS II Figures