Prev: MCaHNY Next: Re: SSD miniatures

Re: How a minature should look

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:23:28 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: How a minature should look

On 22 Dec 1997, David Maslen wrote:

> Having said that. I have built a few model aircraft models in the
> past. Why don't minature makers build slightly larger, precision
> plastic models, rather than dull lead minitures that lack definition.

I will skip the financial and technical arguments, and concentrate on
the most important thing:

Gameplay.

I've done *lots* of gaming with plastic models, 1/144 jet fighters and
1/100 to 1/200 mecha and assorted others. Why did I use plastic models?
Because suitable metal miniatures were largely unavailable.

The thing is, most plastic kits are just too damn big to be gameable.
My 1/144 Gelgoog Jaeger is extremely neat looking and rugged enough
for gaming, but I just don't have a 20-foot gaming table.

Metal miniatures can be produced every bit as clean and detailed as
plastic ones. It's a question of scale and cost, not material.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: MCaHNY Next: Re: SSD miniatures