Prev: Re: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses Next: Re: FT PBEM

Re: Fast Capitals

From: mehawk@c... (Michael Sandy)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:13:23 -0800
Subject: Re: Fast Capitals

> Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> > Though I must say, given a rule like that, I'd probably only field
> > odd-thrust ships. Turning is much more important than straight
> > acceleration.

> Jon Davis
> davis@albany.net

Actually, I'd like to be able to have a mixture of quickly turning low
thrust gun platforms and slowly turning but high thrust Pursuit ships.

It doesn't matter how tough your fleet is if you can't get it to where
you need to in time.

While I'm thinking about it, how about top speeds based on the amount of
shielding a ship has?

0-shields,  Top speed 80
1-shields   Top speed 100
2-shields   Top speed 120
3-shields   Top speed 140
Reflect Fields +20 to top speed

This would enable reasonable strategic combat.	Small high thrust ships
would probably be able to get out of scanner range pretty quickly, but
the calculation of whether a fleet can intercept another becomes easier
to do.

Here is a system for all those glorified gun platforms to use:
Gyroscopic Attitude Control system:
By using enormous, (massive) gyros, a ship is able to turn much faster
simply by spinning up or spinning down the gyros.
Mass, 5% Ship mass
Cost 1/2 Ship mass for level 1 GAC, 2*Ship mass for level 2
Effect, +1 to Turn for level 1, +2 to turn for level 2

Michael Sandy

Prev: Re: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses Next: Re: FT PBEM