Prev: Re: Jump Troops for SG2 Next: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?

SV: Unfair Kamikazes? /Starfire nostalgia

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 03:18:29 +0100
Subject: SV: Unfair Kamikazes? /Starfire nostalgia

> Hmmm, this reminds me of the early "Starfire-Empires" rules problem.
> We had an individual who's race/Tech level, would not allow him to
> build anything bigger than a Escort. But he had very rich systems,
> which meant he could build a LOT of them.......
> I began to think my invading fleet was going to have a bad day when
> he borrowed all the Escorts from 2 other players game sets....

<g> That was when Escorts were dangerous as ramming units, no?

Under the latest Starfire rules (3rd ed + SM#2) a huge swarm of Escorts
will be dangerous to fleets made up of a single ship type - eg, only
Superdreadnoughts or only Destroyers; but a mixed fleet using both
smaller,
faster screening ships and larger units with long-range weapons should
be
able to defeat them if somewhat close in construction costs. Prior to
SM#2,
the problem was reversed - a swarm of small ships had virtually no
chance
against larger enemy units, since speeds were equal (or almost equal)...

Oerjan Ohlson
Swarm play-tester

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Jump Troops for SG2 Next: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?