Prev: [Fwd: Toronto DS2 Players?] Next: SV: Unfair Kamikazes? /Starfire nostalgia

Re: Jump Troops for SG2

From: The Caldwells <clcaldwell@p...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:10:30 -0600
Subject: Re: Jump Troops for SG2

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I admit I really hadn't considered the difference
in
scales.  Most of my terrain is built to about a 3 inch height for
buildings
and a one-level hill.  So my intent was to allow troops to be able to
leap
to the tops of single-story buildings during one move, and, yes, I was
pretty much just ignoring the scales.

Nick

At 02:14 PM 11/10/97 +0000, you wrote:

>You seem to have ignored the fact that the _ground scale_ is 1in to
10m,
>whereas the _vertical scale_ is 1in to ~6ft!! In other words your slow
PA

____________________________
>_____
>Subject: Jump Troops for SG2
>Author:  owner-ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk at INTERNET
>Date:	  08/11/1997 23:34
>

>Jump Troops for SG2. . .
>
>OR. . .
>
>Longing for the days when men were real men, women were real women,
>small,furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small,furry
creatures
>from Alpha Centauri, and all space marines had jump packs.
>
>New Rule:  Power armored troops may clear obstacles equivalent to half
>their move rate during their move.  Slow PA (move 6") may clear
obstacles
>of 3" height; Fast PA (Move 12") may clear obstacles of up to 6"
height.
>The height of the obstacle is subtracted from the normal move distance,
so
>a for a slow PA to clear a 6" obstacle he or she must be standing right
>next to it.
>
>Examples:  X is the  PA trooper before the move, Y is the position
after
>the move.
>
>     Y____
>     |   |
>     |   3"
>X____|   |
> -3"-
>
>Above the Slow PA trooper is 3" away from a ledge that is 3" high.  The
>trooper makes the jump to edge of the ledge and ends his movement.
>

>     ----6"----
>     __________Y
>     |   |
>     |   3"
>X____|   |
> -3"-
>
>Above the Fast PA trooper is 3" away from a flat-roofed building that
is 3"
>high.	The trooper makes the jump to edge of the ledge (6" -- 3"
horizontal
>and 3 vertical) and continues to move along the roof for 6".
>

>Designer's Notes: When I first purchased Rogue Trader, all the space
>marines had jump packs (remember the 30 for $30 plastic marines).
"Cool!"
>I thought, "Just like Starship Troopers!"   When I got into this latest
>go-around of new rules for 40K (cost of the new plastic miniatures;
also
>the name of the game) I was quite disappointed that only the assault
>marines had jump packs. "Ewww!" I thought, "Nothing like Starship
>Troopers!"  (Interestingly enough, this was also my first reaction to
the
>movie by the same name)
>
>So naturally, when SG2 came out, I wanted Starship Troopers.  This
>simulates it pretty well.  So far we have not allowed the jump move for
>combat move; we haven't come to an agreement about what happens if you
>don't roll high enough to 1) clear the obstacle and end up crashing
into it
>instead and 2) shouldn't the other bloke get a positive modifier to hit
you
>since you're up in the air like that?	It works pretty well with Travel
>moves; you don't see those that often, but it's pretty cool to see a
column
>of troopers clear the local skyscraper and just keep going!
>
>Oh, and if you want to be canon to that other game, allow only the
assault
>marines to use this rule and you should be OK.
>
>Comments? Suggestions?
>

>Nick Caldwell
>clcaldwell@primary.net

Nick Caldwell
clcaldwell@primary.net

Prev: [Fwd: Toronto DS2 Players?] Next: SV: Unfair Kamikazes? /Starfire nostalgia