Prev: Re: SV: FTL Mines Next: SV: SV: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions

Re: SV: FTL Mines

From: "People who actually *do* things with their lives - next time, on Geraldo!" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:27:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: SV: FTL Mines

JOHN, DUDE!

Trim your replies a bit, man! It takes fragging forever to get to
the part which you wrote, meaning all the previous non-relevant
stuff had to be read in its entirety all over again. Gah...

[massive amounts of non-relevant earlier text msgs sliced w/extreme
prejudice]

>> > POINT 1)
>> > The mine must have an active power source or it would freeze in
>> > space.   This means the stealth aspect becomes meaningless, even
>> > if the mine were totally (normal active) sensor invisable the mine
>> > would light up like a candle in the dark on a IR sensor.
>>
>> Very false assumption. What type of "active power" source are you
>> talking about? And what do you mean freeze in space?
>> There are satillites in long orbits right now that are powerd down
>> and emit no radiation. They are back up Command/Control/Communication
>> satillites.

For an example you can use the TDRSS ("tee-dress") satellites (Tracking
and
Data Relay Satellite System). There are 3 currently in active
operational mode,
and 2-3 others which are shut down to a 'stand-by' mode, minimal power,
to be
used as back-ups in case any of the primary 3 fail. I haven't gotten
around to
measuring their radiation output lately, so can't tell you those
numbers.  ;-)

>You can insulate against the cold/heat, (depends on
>> whether your in the sunlight or shadow part of the orbit) and just a
>> trickle of power, (Solar cells, or Radio-stope generated) would be
>> more than enough to keep the systems on standbye, and preform self
>> checks. If it is Radar/Sensor stealthed, you won't see it till your
>> "on-top" of it, by which point it is too late.

[a LOT more irrelevant material sliced/diced from here]

>     At this time of my life I am testing solar arrays for a
>living.   When I said 'active power source' I refered to either
>a nuke power source or solar/battery power.  Both of these are used
>to maintain a temperature so high above space background that the
>candel statement is basicly correct. (Persuming one is looking
>for it.)

Are the solar arrays you're testing for ground systems or
satellites/spacecraft? (asking out of curiousity, mainly)

Assuming your systems require it, you *can* surround them cryogen to
keep their
temperatures down (the NICMOS camera on the Hubble is encased in a solid
block
of nitrogen). That'll help against your IR detectors. That, and the
background
stars.	;-)

>     Sometime it is just not a good idea to inject too much reality
>into the game, just take it the way it is and go from there.

I agree there's a point when reality becomes unplayable, but I think you
can get pretty durn close.

Mk
-
All that is gold does not glitter,
     all those who wander are not lost.

http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~indy/index.html

Prev: Re: SV: FTL Mines Next: SV: SV: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions