Prev: Re: SV: FTL Mines Next: Re: SV: FTL Mines

Re: SV: FTL Mines

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:54:47 -0800
Subject: Re: SV: FTL Mines

...Snip...JTL ( a large amount of text removed.)

>   What about gun mines...
>
> assuming you can make the mines stealthy enough...
> and use some sort of passive sensor system to detect ships...when a
ship comes with in gun range the mine goes active and begins
firing...this
> also gives the mine an engagement range, thus requiring less mines

Chris,
     My prior messages have assumed a 12' spacing between mines.
In modern terms the passive sensor concept can be equated to
using a search radar to target your anti-aircraft missiles rather
than a dedicated target radar.	Stated simply, not a good idea.

Remember, the captain signed the ship out, and if he losses it
the cost will come out of his pay.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: SV: FTL Mines Next: Re: SV: FTL Mines