Prev: Re: Revision Numbers Next: Re: Revision Numbers [OFFICIAL REPLY]

Re: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions

From: Jonathan Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:47:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions

Allan Goodall wrote:

> Topic: Advanced Sensor Rules and Needle Weapons

> 7) Same as 6, but group systems into three main chunks: weapons
> (including fire cons), engines (including FTL) and other. A needle
> weapon would target one of these chunks, and the system targeted would
> be chosen at random from the systems in that chunk. (Same as 6, but
> the firing player has a bit more control over what he fires at).

Hi, Allan
	I'm definitely interested in seeing the results of your
MS Access work for PBeM gaming.  I use limited intelligence and
the advanced sensor rules for the Empress tournament and have had
no problem with the use of those rules.  One reason why the issue
of needle beams has not come up in any Empress match is that
no player has designed a ship with a needle beam.  In a total of
eight fleets in the first tournament and seventeen fleets in the
second (one player dropped out after designing a fleet) not one
player has designed a ship with a needle beam.
	My own personal ruling would allow the attacking player
to target systems as chunks, either engines, weapons, or avionics.
I would separate the FireCons from the rest of the weapons systems
and lump them in with any AECM or ECM systems onboard.	FireCons are
choice targets for a needle beam over any specific weapons.  And
given that the number needed for a needle beam attack is a 6 with
a range of 9", the weapon system needs a serious upgrade to become
attractive for ship designers.

Jon

Prev: Re: Revision Numbers Next: Re: Revision Numbers [OFFICIAL REPLY]