Prev: Re: FT graphic ship generation program Next: Re: FT graphic ship generation program

Re: Opinions on The Complete Wargames Handbook?

From: "Jerry \"Fish\" Han" <jhan@i...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 00:32:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Opinions on The Complete Wargames Handbook?

Adrian Bruce wrote:
> The Complete Wargames Handbook :
> How to Play, Design, and Find Them
> by James F. Dunnigan

I've got the Second Edition of the book.  In my opinion, worth having if
you're planning to design board wargames.  There are some thoughtful
ideas for computer wargames as well, but the focus is mainly from the
design issues and not the actual programming issues.  (Also, as a
computer book, it's a little dated; the 2nd Ed dates from 1993, if
memory serves.)

Covers basic strategy, and includes a very simple wargame to show the
basics.  Not much on the more advanced concepts of design that have come
out recently (e.g. VG Command and Control focus through titles such as
Air & Armour or Flashpoint: Golan, or GMTs ideas of tempo and momentum
as per the "Great Battles of History" series.)	On the flip side,
Dunnigan's experience with Wargames is from the old SPI era, so that's
the flavour the advice comes in.

I do love the list at the end of the book which lists all of Dunnigan's
games, especially the title "Up Against the Wall, Motherf***er."  Makes
you wonder.  (8-)

Hope this helps, and hope that this is somewhat coherent, (8-)

J.

--
 *** Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan ***
 "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep; But I have promises to keep,

Prev: Re: FT graphic ship generation program Next: Re: FT graphic ship generation program