Prev: RE: Hello? Next: Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

From: Brian <PDGA6560@c...>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:26:08 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

Hopefully Jon has built in to the ship design/cost system ways to
discourage this. The best way that I can think of is a cost multiplier
at
the end. Below is an example (just musings, not anything official).

Cost:
Ship Mass			40
Ship Thrust x Mass 160 (4)
FTL					10
3x Screen	   75
3x A Bat	   45
2x PDAF 	    6
		  ----
		  336
x Mass Multiplier   40
		  ----
		 13440 cost

Cost:
Ship Mass			18
Ship Thrust x Mass 144	(8)
FTL					10
Screen		   25
A Bat		   15
3x PDAF 	    9
		  ----
		  221
x Mass Multiplier   18
		  ----
		  3978 cost

Using a system simular to this, you could could buy 3-18 mass ships for
about the same cost as 1-40 mass ship. This gives a closer
representation
of actual value of the ships.

Message text written by INTERNET:FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

"     Actually I may have to retract that statement, Phil Pournelle
ran a game two months ago.   That game may have had portions of the
'FTIII' rules in it.
     Notable item:
   A large increase in the size of the major ships.  80 to 160 mass
   ships abounded.  This I suspect is due to the mass increase
   required for multiple fire arc beam weapons.   The increase
   in size of ships coupled with the reduction in firepower
   resulted in the game having a duration of greater than five (5),
   count them, five hours."

Prev: RE: Hello? Next: Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs