Prev: Re: Temporary list suspension, B5, StarBlazers, MoonDragon, Full Tilt, E40K Pan Fliers Next: Silent Death Official Traveller Game?

Pulse torpedo-Subpack discussion

From: davisje@z... (Jonathan Davis)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:15:08 -0500
Subject: Pulse torpedo-Subpack discussion

I had only referred to the lighter escort units for
the pulse torpedo mount.  The problem with a capital
ship with pulse torpedoes is the lack of manueverability
to bring the weapons to bear and keep them 'in arc'
within the 24" range of the weapon.  An AA Megabattery
has the same mass and arc restriction as a PT, but
the range makes the AA battery a better choice than a
PT tube.

I would assume that a cruiser would be the best platform
for PT mounts, with the survivability and manueverability
to effectively use the weapon.

I base part of my discussion on my experience running the
PBeM tournament.  I ran the first tournament last year
with eight players and the ongoing tournament with sixteen
players.  In all of the first round matches from last year
and this year, no PT themed fleet has advanced to fight
in a second round match.  Those fleets cannot consistently
deliver the damage to win a fleet match.

Jon Davis
davis@albany.net