Prev: Miniature Cement Next: ATTN: Owen Glover

Re: Miniature Cement

From: "W. Nitsche" <bnitsche@u...>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 22:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Miniature Cement

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, John Menichelli wrote:

> I've cemented the various Full Thrust ships to their bases using
Inst-Cure+
> (i.e. super glue). [That is, I'm gluing the posts into the holes
drilled in
> the bottom of the ship.] However, it seems that this is a high-stress
> joint, so I'm having to constantly re-glue the posts back onto the
ships.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what glue/cement I should use
for a
> better bond?

I had poor luck with this as well and decided to do away with it all
together.  I've replaced the post with brass tubing and drilled the
mounting hole in deeper.  I drill the hole the same diameter as the
tubing
I'm using (different sizes depending on the size of ship).

You could use the same approach with the post included by pinning the
post
to the ship with a bit of wire.  Pinning entails drilling a small hole
in
both sides of the joint and gluing a bit of wire between them.	It helps
keep the joint together in high-stress areas.

A temporally displaced		Bill Nitsche (bnitsche@u.washington.edu)
	hobbit			Oceanography, University of Washington

Prev: Miniature Cement Next: ATTN: Owen Glover