Prev: RE: Motorcycles in DSII and SGII Next: Re: Can't Recommend this Site for GZG fans (was Re: Dirtside Miniatures -take a look at these)

Re: Motorcycles in DSII and SGII

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Motorcycles in DSII and SGII

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Alexander Williams wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 1997 Herk0001@aol.com wrote:

> > I was wondering how to classify motorcycles in Dirtside II and
StargruntII?
> > Are they just size 1 vehicles?  Are they low or high mobility
wheeled
> > vehicles?
>
> Given the size of ATVs of most stripes and the fact that they're
typically
> not used 'on the fly' (trying to use your rifle while riding hellbent
over
> terrain is /not/ recommended), I'd simply define them as a different
kind
> of infantry, 'mounted (dispersed).'  When in 'travel mode' they're
treated
> as one step easier to hit but move as if one step better in mobility.
If
> they want to do serious infantry-style work, they have to dismount,
giving
> them usual mobility but also the usual chances to hit and be
effective.

> > Also, in Dirtside II, does anybody mount the motorcycles in pairs or
are
> > they used singly?  I would like to know so that I can convert my
epic squats
> > to dirtside use.
>
> Depends on how you want to arrange their strategic use; if the ATV
mobile
> infantry operate as special recon teams, two per stand is right.  If
you
> have fire teams that travel by ATV, you'll want 4 - 6.
>
> --
> [  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
> [ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]
> [	     BELLATORES INQVIETI --- Restless Warriors		   ]
>	"If not me, who?  If not now, when?  If not this, what?"
>	 "In nomine malas portas, convoco Hasturam Nefas."

So what we have here are 'Mechanized Dragoons', almost. (Historical Note
for those who don't know: Dragoons were Napoleonic era & earlier troops
that travelled by horse but dismounted to fight on foot as light
infantry.)

This sounds pretty cool. There's a version of this, using GEV skimmers,
in
Jon's Hammer's Slammers rules - the inf. move as slow GEVs when 'mounted
up' and are more vulnerable to fire, then dismount using the APC rules
fight. A counter is placed on the table to represent the parked
skimmers,
and to regain their GEV mobility, the inf. have to walk back to the
skimmers and remount.

So motorcycle dragoons are a lower-tech version of the above - and a
very
cool idea.

And for those of us who don't want to consort with the devi..I mean GW,
there are other sources of 6mm motor/dirt bikes - Scotia MicroModels
makes
some, in their Neutral/Modern/WW2 line.

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)