Prev: RE: Aliens Action Fleet APC Next: web site

OFF-QUESTION: How big is an Alderson point?

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:04:43 -0500
Subject: OFF-QUESTION: How big is an Alderson point?

Phil might be the best one to answer this, but in case it has been
discussed
before, I thought I would toss it out publically; while it is lanbelled
"off-
topic", I think the gaming implications for _Full Thrust_ are pretty
darn
clear.

Just how big is an Alderson point?

I'm asking because it has a tremendous impact on how you protect a
system.  If
the points are small, then fixed defenses a la _Starfire_ can turn every

hostile warp assault into a buzz saw.

_Starfire_ warp points, IIRC, are extremely small, with some being so
small as
to limit the size of vessels that may transit them.  McCollum's
foldspace
points appear to be bigger, but still small enough that fixed defenses
or a
fleet can opretty much get off an immediate shot against anyone coming
out of
a foldspace jump.

I don't remember seeing this in the CoDo universe.  IIRC, the only
defenses we
really see are mobile, and they consist of 1) the _Defiant_ off New
Chicago,
and 2) the Crazy Eddie squadron inside the supergiant.	The latter is
clearly
a special case (presumably the outcoimg ships are pretty disoriented by
appearing in a sun), and the former, if memory serves, involved the
captain
lamenting that the _MacArthur_ appeared so close.

Any help appreciated!

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	  Sci Fi-Arizona: books and essays by
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)	  Michael McCollum
<http://www.scifi-az.com/>

Prev: RE: Aliens Action Fleet APC Next: web site