Prev: Aliens Action Fleet APC Next: Re: Realistic Fleet sizes

Re: One question that's plagued me about Full Thrust

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 22:12:48 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: One question that's plagued me about Full Thrust

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Haun, Gilles, SSG wrote:

> If we have the tech to put rail guns on aerospace and ground vehicles,
> why are the Kra'vak the only ones to use them on starships.

Do you want the REAL reason, or the in-game PSB explanation? We've
already seen numerous examples of the latter, so I'll shed some light on

the former:

The lovable KV's were meant to be devastating über-aliens for RPG-type
scenarios. That's why their point cost is screwed. That's why they have
weapons that ignore human defenses. That's why their defenses work
against
human weapons. (And that's why you should never use them except in
pre-defined and tested scenarios.)

It doesn't matter one squiddly little bit what their weapons and
defenses
are called -- they could be Xyzzy beams and Foobar shields just as well.

As a sidenote: In Silent Death, the grubs have beam weapons called
X-beams, Y-beams and Z-beams. I like it! Gives the effect of "we know
they're beams and they differ from each other, but otherwise we have
no clue how they work".

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Aliens Action Fleet APC Next: Re: Realistic Fleet sizes