Prev: Re: Tolerance - MIME attachments in ASCII are OK? Next: FT Exchange logon

Re: Different FTL methods - was FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

From: campbelr@p...
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:15:29 -0400
Subject: Re: Different FTL methods - was FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

  Chan Faunce <channing@glasscity.net> said:

> Even in the real world there are different methods of powered
movement:
> Deisel engines, gasoline engines, electric motors, jets, rockets; all
> are used to propellel automobiles, but rely an very different
principles
> and equipment. I don't see why 2 different races would have to use the
> same method for FTL travel. Perhaps a race discovers a wormhole just
> outside of there solar system when they reach a level of sub-light
> propulsion to get that far, they would then lock on this method of
> interstellar travel, perhaps bypassing several systems that they just
> couldn't get to. A second race has there version of Zephram Cochran
and
> invents a way to bypass the speed of light and are able to go to any
> system they wish.

This reminds me of the Steve White book seriies where the usual
method of FTL is a version of "Warp Points" (Like his and Webers
"Starfire" series) but a scientist of one race involved in a war
comes up with a re-finment to allow travel outside of the warp lines.
This gives thier numericaly inferior forces a distinct advantage vs
the more numerous, but technicaly infirior  race they were battling.
As I recall the "warp" travel was slowere than the "warp points".

Randy
"Creative Financing is the key to any venture. Right John?"
R. Hood (Ret.)

Prev: Re: Tolerance - MIME attachments in ASCII are OK? Next: FT Exchange logon