Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

From: Deeply in Love with Dot <jw4@b...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 07:50:37 -0400
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

At 11:37 12/09/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok, gravitational waves move at the speed of light.  Gravitational
>waves are ripples in space-time caused by masses moving around.
>Stationary masses do not (NOT!) cause gravitational waves.  What, you
>say?  Well, remember, stationary charges do NOT cause electromagnetic
>waves.  If charge up a pith ball, it will not start emitting light.  I
>have to have it accelerate to cause radiation.  The same is true for
>gravitational waves.  If I were to take the sun and start wiggling it
>back and forth it would cause gravitational waves just like the
>wiggling electrons in a radio antenna radiate radio waves.
You're probably more well informed than I am so fair does about this (as
said, I dropped out of a physics degree so my knowledge is patchy in
places). But if what I have quoted is true, how does that cope with
relative motion? for example to us travelling round  it the sun is in a
fairly fixed position and would therefore not emit gravity waves. But to
someone sitting at galactic centre (presuming someone could) the sun
would
definitely be moving, and therefore would emit gravity waves. And
regardless of where you are the rest of the universe is moving (away,
very
quickly) and therefore we should be flooded with gravity
waves/gravitons.
Ain't physics a bummer?

				TTFN
					Jon
'And I love what we are but I hate what I am
 And I wanna be like you but I hate when you're like them'
		   Maria McKee 'What Else you Wanna Know'
BWFC Fans List Home Page -
	    http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist/home.html

Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply