Prev: Re: Diverse Aliens (Was Re: Star Trek background - Reply) Next: Re: Star Trek background - Reply

Re: Monoculture Aliens, etc.

From: "Alfredo Lorente" <alfredo@b...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 05:31:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Monoculture Aliens, etc.

Much intersting stuff deleted...

> What is the excuse for the Centauri, Narn, Drazi, Draconians, Ice
> Warriors, Betazoids or Kazon being mono-culture? There isn't one.

Well, I didn't want to jump into this one, but what the hey!!!

I wonder what we mean by "culture"?  The Mimbari have different
castes, and there is no reason to believe that different castes might
not have different ways to perform ceremonies to their different
deities (from what I remember, and I could be wrong, Valen is a
political figure, if you will, and not a "god").

The Centauri have multiple gods, and we rarely see anybody but the
royal family/emperor.  Other than some language variations, I doubt
one could tell apart different monarchs.  Granted, I am working poor
in the U.S., not European, but we have rarely seen anything other
than the emperor's court and the military.  In addition, Centauri was
populated by the Xon (sp?) who evolved in parallel with the Centauri.
After a war to the death (you add your own Mollari accent here) with
them, what was left was the Centauri.  Wars tend to bring people
together - see the Persian Gulf/World-Iraq war and the U.S.
population...

The Narn, well, now more than ever there is a single culture - a
warrior culture.  Whoever thinks that Centauri occupation is good
would have to keep quite.  I remember G'Kar had a flower god, there
could be people who follow the river goddess or what not.

The Drazi do get into fights over colors, so you could claim their
concept of culture is rather..., umh....  colorful! (duck!)

I think the real problem with the Alien cultures is that all these
shows are not about the aliens, but about the Humans.  All the
examples above are not about purple Drazi finding shameful to have
spinach on their teeth, but considering sub-human to refuse a fresh
plum.  (The green Drazi, of course, would believe the opposite...)

If you think about having dark skinned aliens, versus light skinned
aliens, or different languages, or something else, well, the real
problem is then that nobody would care.  I am not at all interested
in watching the story of how the xontrads went to war because the
blue xontrad got green eggs sunny side up while visiting the plaid
xontrad's capital (blue xontrads find green eggs sunny side up an
affront on their gender - it means they can't switch genders when the
opposite gender is unavailable for mating...)

To bring this somewhere in the vicinity of the list's subject matter,
when we are dealing with Sci-Fi combat (as we are), the least thing
we are going to see is different cultures.  We might have the Oceanic
Union Aborigene, but we aren't going to have him go into a walkabout.
We have the Russian Babushka with the pig (PLasma Gun) and the
Chinese sniper for  the ESU, but the one won't prepare goulash and
the other won't prepare some Cantonese delight.  I don't expect this
not only because they are figures, but just because they are in the
military, which some might argue is a different culture in and of
itself... (MRE's, anyone?)

I also have to agree with the other comment about culture
amalgamation - Look at the Chinese "Communists" (ROTFLMFAO). Hey,
look at me!  I'm Puerto Rican, but have been here in the middle of
the MidWest (Minnesota) for almost ten years...  I am bi-cultural at
best, at worst Minnesotan (darn tooting!, for those who watched
_Fargo_)...  My children, if any, will be Minnesotans.	Bi-lingual,
but Minnesotans...

I'll shut my trap now....

Alfredo
--------
Alfredo Lorente 		  "End This." -- Delenn
Minneapolis, MN 		Lines of Communication
alfredo@bitstream.net	      Babylon 5

Prev: Re: Diverse Aliens (Was Re: Star Trek background - Reply) Next: Re: Star Trek background - Reply