Prev: RE: Star System Attack Next: FMA:Stargrunt II:FASA Dr. Who

Re: Star System Attack

From: Jonathan Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:51:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Star System Attack

Mike Wikan wrote:

> Mainly, i was thinking an attacker would be wise to jump in WAY out
> of the system and attempt to Boost/Glide and use natural assets like
> planets or asteroid fields to mask his approach and course changes.
> Using a planet's gravity well to assist with course changes etc. Only
> when near a potential target would you light off the drives and
> radiate a signature. Most drives in RL radiate a lot of energy be it
> chemical or radiation (I mean how stealthy can you be in an ORION for
> instance) by USING a system's terrain for a planned incursion, an
> attacker could maximize his potential for tactical surprise....

One aspect of Star system attack I haven't seen mentioned
yet is the use of electronic countermeasures to feint and
confuse the defenders.	In Full Thrust terms, it would be
the tactic of sending in escorts and decoys, etc. with
Weasel systems to divert and confuse the enemy.

There has not been much mentioned in the rules on the grand
tactical scale for a system attack.  Depending on the game
universe, the FTL limit to the home world or other High Value
Location in a star system could have some distance separating
them to engage and divert an attacker.	If there were multiple
HVLs in a star system worthy of an attack, a more rigorous
and flexible defense would be needed.

Jon Davis

Prev: RE: Star System Attack Next: FMA:Stargrunt II:FASA Dr. Who