Prev: Flashing (was Re: Star System Attack) Next: VALAMIR@aol.com: [BAB]: In Case anyone missed it

Re: Star System Attack

From: ngilsena@i...
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:45:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Star System Attack

> To:		 ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk
> From: 	 Sprayform <sprayform.dev@netwales.co.uk>
> Reply-to:	 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject:	 Star System Attack
> Date: 	 Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:14:45 +0100

> Just a question to gamers/astophiles (I think thats the term ! And I
don't
> mean the green stuff!!)
> When in Sci-fi (or FT) you jump into a system , it always appears that
you
> are beyond the outermost planet. Hence the 'defenders' have time to
muster a
> defence and come out to meet you (Cut the last jump close as the KV
did in a
> MT senario and you shorten the muster).
> What I want to know is why is it always on the solar plane? I would
have
> thought that jumping in over the poles of star would mean you could be
'in
> system'. The solar wind (Correct me please) is concentrated along the
plane
> so polar jumps would be safer (same with debris)? What gravitationally
would
> the difference be ? (fast spiral as opposed to a drag orbit?)
> On a gravity space-time distortion map I would have assumed no
distinction
> between planear and polar
> Jon(T.C.) How the hell are we assuming H-space works anyway RE FT II ?
> Sprayforming Developments Ltd.	[production tools]
>					     made in
>					[prototype  times]
>   'The future is now'

I don't think this will answer your question but I had come up with
an idea for system assaults for a campaign game.  Basically it works
on the idea that the nearer you jump to a heavenly body (Claudia
Schiffer whoever) the more the gravity well will affect you.  If you
jump in too close then the ship blows up.  If you happen to have good
navigators then you can probably make it futher into the system with
some damage.  If you take the safe way out then you give the
defenders time to muster an effective defense.	This idea borrows
somewhat from the Renegade Legion strategic game Prefect.  In the
space component of the game the map is broken into 7 bands around the
system primary numbere 1 to 7 from the primary.  To jump into band 1
you needed extraordinary navigators and enormous amounts of luck.
The further out you jump into the easier it is.
Niall Gilsenan,
Dublin Institute of Technology,
Cathal Brugha.St,
Dublin 1,