Prev: Practical to the end... Next: Re: Madison Nightmare (Geopolitics in Jon's Universe)

Re: Cover in Dirtside II

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@a...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 15:19:50 -0400
Subject: Re: Cover in Dirtside II

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Rick Rutherford wrote:

> I assumed that the "add a d6 defense die for soft cover, and a d8 for
> hard cover" rule was made for the sake of keeping it simple, but it
got me
> thinking: why not use the size of the vehicle to determine the size of
the
> defense die given? If you ignore the effects of stealth systems, then
> the defense die of the vehicle would look like this:

Mainly because it makes no sense.

There is X amount of cover; given the scale at which we're working and
the
granularity of the system, it makes no sense to say a vehicle that
differs
in SIZE as little as do one class from the next does gets
/significantly/
more protection from the same cover.  An entire die class is quite a
bit,
statistically, even moreso at the lower ranges that small-SIZE vehicles
inhabit.

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: Practical to the end... Next: Re: Madison Nightmare (Geopolitics in Jon's Universe)