Prev: Re: Star Trek background (was... something else) Next: Stop the maddness! (Was: Star Trek background)

Star Maps/Mapping (was: Stars (was: ...))

From: "EPICS: Self-Guided Wilderness Tours" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:31:27 -0400
Subject: Star Maps/Mapping (was: Stars (was: ...))

>> "Starforce Alpha Centauri" has a hex-grid map of a radius of all
stars
>> about 20 LY from earth, with altitudes. So you get a 3-D map.
>
>My thoughts exactly.  The map is a 3D sphere with star names, position,
>and altitude on the Starforce map.  It would be ideal for FT campaigns
>in the game universe or a Sol-centered universe of your own making.
>
>Some math is needed to move is 3D space for fleet movement, but that is
>provided on the map sheet as well, I believe.	I'll have to dig my map
>out of storage.

Anyone remember or have FGU's Space Opera? They had a very neat and tidy
method of depicting stellar locations in 2-D using a grid coordinate
system. I like it a lot and am using it for a project I'm working on at
mapping 'nearby' stars (~200 cubic ly). Makes calculating distances
between
two given stars a snap. The details on this are given in their Star
Sector
Atlas I book.

Mk
-
Only the bravest try where eagles and angels dare to fly
<*>

Prev: Re: Star Trek background (was... something else) Next: Stop the maddness! (Was: Star Trek background)