Prev: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space)) Next: Re: Madison Nightmare (Geopolitics in Jon's Universe)

Muskets in SG2? (was Re: United States Civil War)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:28:25 -0400
Subject: Muskets in SG2? (was Re: United States Civil War)

This is on topic. No, really! Just skip down to the last paragraph.

At 02:17 PM 9/6/97 -0500, John Hamill wrote:

>A victory at Gettysburg, for example would
>have been too costly; politically speaking; to keep the war effort
>going.

If the south had won at Gettysburg on the 1st or second days, Meade
would
have retreated to Piper's Creek and a battle would have been fought
there.
If Lee followed Longstreet's suggestion and gone around Meade's left
flank,
the Army of the Potomac would have assaulted Lee's force on ground of
Lee's
choosing. In any of these cases, or the case of a win on the 3rd day,
Lee
would have retreated to the south having only enough ammunition for one
more
day's fight and Meade would have been replaced until Grant took over in
October. Nothing else would really have changed due to the fall of
Vicksburg.

There were several points where the Confederates could have won the war
(the
most likely was Stonewall Jackson's plan to take Washington immediately
after Bull Run, but Johnson overrode him). All of these points required
Britain and/or France to recognize the Confederacy as a sovereign
nation.
After Lincoln emancipated the slaves, public morality in Britain pretty
much
ended the possibility.

Okay, so what does this have to do with the mailing list, you might ask?
Well, it's got me interested in an idea for doing a Stargrunt 2 scenario
based on the _Guns of the South_ (by Turtledove, who has a sequel coming
out
this fall). Has anyone come up with SG2 stats for muskets? I was
thinking of
doing a small (well, small for the Confederates) scenario using some HO
scale North Vietnamese miniatures for the confederates (some of the
figures
have slouch hats and AK's) and some HO scale Union soldiers. I was
wondering
what if anyone has come up with SG2 stats for anachronistic weapons.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.