Prev: Re: Star Trek background (was... something else) Next: Muskets in SG2? (was Re: United States Civil War)

Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

From: Bradford Holden <holden@o...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:27:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

To continue this completely off-topic discussion....

I just looked it up, there are 6,300 or so F and G type stars in the
solar neighborhood for every 10^6 pc^3, so it works out there should
be 6,100 or so in a sphere of 200 ly centered on the earth.  For stars
that are close to the sun in surface temperature and total luminosity,
you might want to cut that number down by a factor of 5 or so.	I only
included main-sequence stars, no Giants.  I got all this from a great
book that recently went out of print called Galactic Astronomy by
Milhalas and Binney.  Mark K should at least have a copy available at
the ST library.

cheers
brad

Prev: Re: Star Trek background (was... something else) Next: Muskets in SG2? (was Re: United States Civil War)