Prev: Re: NSL Super-Duper-DNs Next: Re: FT Ship Designations - OU/NAC

Re: Star Trek background (was... something else)

From: Rob Paul <rpaul@w...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 02:45:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Trek background (was... something else)

At 09:36 AM 9/8/97 GMT, you wrote:
>In message <3411B464.230B@earthlink.net> "John D. Hamill" writes:
>
>> The NAC explanation isn't silly, just needs to be better explained.
And
>> your universe IS a lot better than the "faschists with smiley faces"
of
>> Star Trek.
>
>Fascists? Surely you mean communists. They seem to have abolished
>all money, get from people according to their ability, give to
>them according to their needs etc.. The Federation seems to be an
>idealised version of what the Soviet Union used to pretend to be.
>(Have you ever read the old Soviet constitution?)
>
>Remind me... didn't McCarthy run all the commies out of Hollywood?
>
>American children are being corrupted. Cool.
>
>[B5, OTOH, is just the same thing the other way round. Earth =
>America with all the bad-juju conspiratorial trimmings that are
>fashionable. Black helos become black starfuries, even...]
>--
>David Brewer

And the Star Trek rank badges resemble those of the 1930's Red Army, and
they had an "internal enemy" paranoia (or several), and one of the
Enterprise's sisters is the Potemkin.  And look at the bridge of the
Ent-D;
there they are, sat in a row, the Captain, the First Officer and the
"Counsellor" (or is it "Councillor"; Council = Soviet)- compare to the
Red
Army "Military Soviet" - Commander, Deputy Commander and Political
Member.
They don't appear to have a Great Teacher and Leader, implying that it
really is the USSR as intended/pretended rather than the reality.

Rob Paul
"Slava Partiyeh Bolshevikov"
"
Rob Paul
Dept. of Zoology
University of Oxford
South Parks Road
Oxford
(01865) 271124

rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk

Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!
"

Prev: Re: NSL Super-Duper-DNs Next: Re: FT Ship Designations - OU/NAC