Prev: Re: Looking for Combine GEVs Next: Re: Salvo Missile Batteries <NEW>

Re: Weber/White Books (contains SPOILERS)

From: "EPICS: Self-Guided Wilderness Tours" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 08:53:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Weber/White Books (contains SPOILERS)

>>	Has anyone out there read David Weber and Steve White's
>> Insurrection and Crusade? More to the point, what are some of your
>> thoughts on the Theban's samurai sleds and x-ray lasers?
>>

>I just finished "On Death Ground", I haven't read Insurrection and
Crusade

>SPOLIERS SPOILERS SPOLIERS SPOILERS

[spoilers deleted]

[...]
>The title is based on a quote form the "Art O War" AOW by Sun Tzu, I
couldn't
>actually find anything remotely like it in my copy of the AOW?

In my copy, a 'Shambhala Pocket Classic', translated by Thomas Cleary,
there is a chapter called 'Nine Grounds'.

The closest that he comes in my version of the book is as follows:

"According to the rule for military operations, there are nine kinds of
ground. Where local interests fight among themselves on their own
territory,
this is called a ground of dissolution.

"When you enter another's land, but not deeply, this is called light
ground."

[and so on and so forth until...]

"When you will survive if you fight quickly and perish if you do not,
this
is called dying ground."

"So let there be no battle on a ground of dissolution, let there be no
stopping on light ground, ... on surrounded ground make plans, and on
dying ground fight."

For what it's worth.

Mk
-
ENEMY WANTED: Mature, lone, North American superpower seeks hostile
nation
for arms racing, third world conflicts, threat inflation, mirror-imaging
and general bellicose posturing. Must be sufficiently menacing to
frighten
more money from Congress. Nuclear capability preferred, chem-bio or
near-nuclear considered. Technologically backward, yet fierce applicants
will also be considered. Must be able to taunt, harangue and bluster in
local
and international media markets. Location: Earth, anywhere, preferrably
near
strategic petroleum deposits, major population or economic centers.
Please
reply with picture of chanting troops, tank battalions, atrocities,
screaming
fighters, etc, to: The Pentagon, Washington, D.C., U.S.A. Pre-emptive
attacks
welcomed. Please, no micro-cell terrorists.

Prev: Re: Looking for Combine GEVs Next: Re: Salvo Missile Batteries <NEW>