Prev: Re: USCMC Minis. Next: Re: FT Archives

Re: Changing Die Types

From: "John D. Hamill" <finnmaccool@e...>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:43:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Changing Die Types

Sprayform wrote:

> Allen at 23:09 27/08/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >At 02:05 PM 8/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >>Has anyone on the list experimented with using a different die type
than
> >>a D6? I've been thinking about changing to a D10 or D20, so that I
can
> >>use more dice modifiers. As the system stands, you can only mess
with
> >>the dice rolls only so much (mods for shields, armor, etc.) so
grafting
> >>"Lock-on" ECM rules is a little difficult.
> >
> >I haven't thought about it. The system as it is is pretty fast paced.
You
> >can do a reasonably sized fleet action in 3 hours, which is what I
like
> >about it. I'd hate to slow it down with die mods.
> >
> >That having been said, you might be better off using d12s. A d12 is
simple
> >to convert from a d6 (just double the numbers and round; a "6" to hit
on a
> >d6 becomes an "11" or "12" to hit on a d12) and you still have room
to add
> >die mods.
> >
> This is probably the best idea for all those who want many mod tables,
> however you could always use	die shifts, as in SG II ,as your actual
modifier!

> Jon (T.C.)
> Sprayforming Developments Ltd.	[production tools]
>					     made in
>					[prototype  times]
>   'The future is now'
I thought that shifting die types would be more in line with the other
FMA games, but I couldn't think of a way to incorporate it without
making it look like a kludge. The reason I wanted to increase the die
modifiers beyond what they are already is doing space combat set in the
Aliens universe. If you've seen the Colonial Marines Handbook you can
see that space combat in that universe is a lot like modern sub warfare,
with stealth and suprise being MUCH more important that it is in the
standard FT game. With that in mind I wanted to come up with a system to
add lock-ons, breaking lock-ons, "spoofing" sensors using ECM and
decoys, etc. Any ideas any one has would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I would like to thank everyone on the list for their treatment.
I've been on some lists that; as soon as I posted anything; there was an
immediate reaction of "get this moron out of here!". It is proof of the
high quality of people who play GZG games.

Prev: Re: USCMC Minis. Next: Re: FT Archives