Prev: Re: GZG Online Catalogue Next: Re: GZG Online Catalogue

Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:36:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

At 10:25 AM 8/19/97 +0300, you wrote:

>> IIRC, Don Slade's clamshell armor (or, more correctly, Danny
Pritchard's
>> clamshell armor, worn by Don Slade at the time <grin>) stops a 1 cm
powergun
>> shot at point-blank range in _Cross the Stars_.
>
>Hmmm... I guess I must have missed that one. It's been some time since
>read the books.

_Cross the Stars_ is periferally a Slammers book. It involves one of the
members of the Slammers who is also an aristocrat on his home planet. I
remember enjoying it but let's be honest here, it's Homer's The Odyssey
repackaged as an SF combat story.

>I think they do that in Rolling Hot.

Is _Rolling Hot_ the book with the Sergeant who hates his commander to
the
point of insubordination? If it is, I'm not to crazy about it. I thought
after the guy's first offense he should have been drummed out of the
Slammers. Drake's combat scenes are top notch but his characterization
leaves a bit to be desired. For the record, I think the original
_Hammer's
Slammers_ is the best introduction to the series, being an anthology. It
also has my favourite story, "Firefitz" (sp?). The other "novels" are
essentially a novella and a short story (except for _Cross the Stars_
which
is a full length novel).

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: GZG Online Catalogue Next: Re: GZG Online Catalogue