Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Re: AutoMated SSD's

Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:56:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

On Aug 15, 1997 at 8:11:39 AM, campbelr@pop3.kunsan.af.mil wrote:

> One book set in the HS universe but not staring, or even mentioning HS

> is "the Forlorn Hope". It has quite a few insites on what it's like to
be
> a mercenary unit without Hammers budget or reputation.  In it you also

> discover that "Terran" technology is greatly feared/respected
throughout
> the galaxy.  You also discover that  Starships can transit inside an
> atmosphere, and see an example of Starship "transit bombing"
technique.

I have never heard conclusively that _Forlorn Hope_ was part of the
Slammers
universe or not.  My inclination is "not" -- while the hovertank
technology
appears the same, and perhaps the stardrive stuff as well, the weapons
tech is
VASTLY inferior, i.e., no powerguns.  Granted, maybe this is because
neither
the mercenariies nor the locals are particularly wealthy, but PGs aren't

mentioned ANYWHERE, and what you do have (e.g., AA laser installations
which
require their own fusion reactor to power) aren't cheap, either.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)		World Wide Weuvesite --
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)		http://www.wizard.net/~caw
mailto:chrisweuve@usa.net (perm)

Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Re: AutoMated SSD's