Prev: Re: Computer System Survey Next: Re: GenCon Mailing List Game Review

Re: Computer System Survey

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 08:07:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Computer System Survey

@:) > -joachim
@:)
@:) oh boy...everybody just jump on the java bandwagon...

  Yes, please do! :)

@:) try Visual Basic for win32 systems...as for mac users...well, i
@:) don't know there remember, they plan to market this...so people
@:) would have to want to buy it.  I have yet to see anything in java
@:) that works right

  Nevertheless such things do exist.  I don't know of any large-scale
applications yet that are written in Java, but then we're not talking
about a large-scale application.  This isn't Microsoft Office - it's
going to have to be a relatively small app because there just isn't
all that much to do.  Even a complete game simulator (computer version
of a GZG game), such as has been discussed here before, wouldn't be
work for more than one (full-time) person.  I think Java would be up
to the task of dealing with a small and simple program like this one,
especially since most of the simple bugs in Java have been fixed.

  As for VB, I have two problems with it.  One it's cross-platform,
and two it's BASIC, for cryin' out loud!!!  When I first heard about
it I remember thinking, "cool, someone's come up with a simple
language that allows you to graphically construct applications.
Because it's so simple and easy to learn, they used the name
'Basic'".  Then I looked at it and found out that it was just BASIC.
That may have been the first time I realized how horrible Microsoft
truly is.  They could at least have done Visual Pascal or Visual
Scheme or SOMETHING BUT PLEASE GOD NOT BASIC!

-joachim

Prev: Re: Computer System Survey Next: Re: GenCon Mailing List Game Review