Prev: RE: ShipBase III RFMI Next: Re: Computer System Survey

Re: Computer System Survey

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 08:02:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Computer System Survey

Adrian Bruce writes:

@:) As someone who would have liked to think so, JAVA still isn't
@:) ready for real apps by the look of it.... mainly as the Runtimes
@:) stuff doesn't work right, ESPECIALLY ON The MAC, which is a bummer
@:) when the same thing works fine on Windows!	Seems both Microsoft
@:) and Apple are working on that though. It is a matter of time...

  Hopefully.  I am a little worried that IE will become the standard
browser for the Mac, rather than Netscape.  If that happens, who knows
whether Java will ever work on Macs.  Anyway, 1.1 is a lot better than
1.0.2 with respect to cross-platform portability, probably because it
was the second effort by the VM developers, and they had an
opportunity to fix whatever was wrong with the previous version.  In
my job we've been doing mostly just Solaris and NT, though, so I can't
really say how well other stuff works.	The (1.1) stuff I've done has
worked well on my Win 95 pc.

@:) It seems to me the only 'easy' cross platform stuff that really
@:) works ( and is cheap) today is some Browser + JavaScript+
@:) Perl/C/CGI ( maybe even Java if you can prove what you want to do
@:) doesn't break on all the platforms) thing that has to be fixed on
@:) each platform you want it on. ( tried Perl + http on a mac and a
@:) similar thing on windows and both were broken in some ways that
@:) needed hacks!)  BUT I don't think this is something you really
@:) want to make into a commercial application and TRY and sell to GZG
@:) customers ...

  Maybe - I still haven't heard the definitive answer on just what
kind of a product this would be.  My job is to write commercial
applications in Java, so obviously I think it can work.  Network
management, if your curious.

-joachim

Prev: RE: ShipBase III RFMI Next: Re: Computer System Survey