Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Knight Hawks miniatures

Re: Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 20:20:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.)

Excerpts from FT: 14-Aug-97 Battlefleet Gothic (was Re:.. by
"Christopher Weuve"@wiza
> On Aug 14, 1997 at 9:28:51 AM, Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@nada.kth.se>
wrote:
> > IIRC, "Space Fleet" was "Battlefleet Gothic Light" - ie, BC was a
working
> > name for what SF should've been (and was, once you'd bought all the
> > relevant White Dwarfs).

Shameless plug: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~at2u/sfleet.html
^_^

> _Battlefleet Gothic_ was a moving target, and SF may even have used
part of
> the cover art originally slated for BG, but _Advanced Space Fleet_
(i.e., SF
> plus all the WD enhancements) was never really BG.  ASF/SF was played
on a
> map with squares, with certain moves allowed from any position, sort
of like
> a chess pieces that could select from several movement options.  The
playtest > version of BG was a minis game (no board) using vector
movement.

Fascinating... I never realized they did have a playtest version of BG,
though one of my friends (who was a painter for GWUS) said he'd seen
some prototype Ork spacecraft.

> The last concrete news I heard from an actual GW employee (IIRC) about
this
> was at a Baltimore Games Day several (four? five?) years ago.  When I
asked
> him, Jervis Johnson said that they were kicking around the idea of
using the
> _Man o' War_ system for BG.

The guy I talked to recently, at MarCon 32, was not anyone recognizable,
but he commented that Man o' War wouldn't be suitable for a direct
conversion because the movement system would need altering, and some of
the special rules would need cleaning up.  Now, either I hit on one of
the few GW employees who likes Space Fleet/starship combat (though he
*was* hanging out at the Silent Death game) or they are doing
playtesting/tinkering with the idea.  (Or, I guess he was involved way
back when... ah, well.)  I do recall Jervis saying at Games Day '96 that
Andy Chambers was hot to work on BG, though.

And, come to think of it, if B5Wars sells well, GW may try to enter the
spaceship market again... you never know.  (They *are* a miniatures
company, after alll.)

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Knight Hawks miniatures