Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 20:07:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides

On Aug 14, 1997 at 10:53:41 AM, Joachim Heck - SunSoft
<jheck@East.Sun.COM>
wrote:

> $1200 dollars is indeed a lot of money.  I think it extremely unlikely

> that a industrial-strength database is required for this task.  If the

> database is not used the tools required to develop this product are
> FREE.  Java is free.	Visual Basic is virtually(?) free. GCC is free.

> There's no need to spend a huge amount of money on a development
system
> given the nature of the task at hand.

All true, but FMP is easier to use than any of those options, comes
complete
with reasonably good printing capability, and is cross platform besides.

A lot of this depends on exactly what the aim is. IIRC, the original
suggestion was for a vehicle generator, and FMP is perfect for that.  It
might
not be so good as a game assistance program.

BTW, has anyone else on this list used ShipBase III?   It's a naval
minis GAP.
Players input the IDs of and distance between firing ship and target,
and the
app determines hits and tracks damage and other stats.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	    _Exordium_: the fan web page
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)
<http://www.wizard.net/~caw/exordium.htm>

Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]