Prev: Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides Next: Re: GenCon

Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.)

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:02:06 -0400
Subject: Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.)

On Aug 14, 1997 at 9:28:51 AM, Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@nada.kth.se>
wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Christopher Weuve wrote:

> > (the never released) _Battlefleet Gothic_
>
> IIRC, "Space Fleet" was "Battlefleet Gothic Light" - ie, BC was a
working
> name for what SF should've been (and was, once you'd bought all the
> relevant White Dwarfs).

_Battlefleet Gothic_ was a moving target, and SF may even have used part
of
the cover art originally slated for BG, but _Advanced Space Fleet_
(i.e., SF
plus all the WD enhancements) was never really BG.  ASF/SF was played on
a map
with squares, with certain moves allowed from any position, sort of like
chess pieces that could select from several movement options.  The
playtest
version of BG was a minis game (no board) using vector movement.

The last concrete news I heard from an actual GW employee (IIRC) about
this
was at a Baltimore Games Day several (four? five?) years ago.  When I
asked
him, Jervis Johnson said that they were kicking around the idea of using
the
_Man o' War_ system for BG.  I still occasionally go to GW -- the
ubermanager
of a couple of the US stores was assistant manager of the store I used
to live
next to -- and I always ask.  I remember suggesting to him that the
command
bunker in Nottingham should call up JT and see about licensing FT as BG,
not
that there was a snowball's chance in hell that they would ever do such
thing...

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	    _Exordium_: the fan web page
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)
<http://www.wizard.net/~caw/exordium.htm>

Prev: Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides Next: Re: GenCon