Prev: Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides Next: Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.)

Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:53:41 -0400
Subject: Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides

Christopher Weuve writes:

@:)  I think I may have sent this to the list once before, regarding a
@:) different topic, but if I were doing this project, I would
@:) seriously explore doing such utilities in Cliri's FileMaker Pro
@:) relational database if possible.  It's fast, easy to use, and
@:) cross-platform (databases created on Mac will run on Windows and
@:) vice versa).  With the Claris Solutions Development Kit you can
@:) attach a runtime engine to the database to create standalone apps.
@:) (You have to do a separate one for each plaform, although the
@:) database is the same -- big deal.)

@:) The main app is $200, with the membership in the Claris Solutions
@:) Alliance and the Solutions Development Kit adding another
@:) $700-1000 more.  This sounds like a lot of money, but it's cheaper
@:) than most development environments, and the CSA/SDK agreement
@:) includes unlimited distribution rights to the runtime engine.  In
@:) other words, this is a one-time cost.

  $1200 dollars is indeed a lot of money.  I think it extremely
unlikely that a industrial-strength database is required for this
task.  If the database is not used the tools required to develop this
product are FREE.  Java is free.  Visual Basic is virtually(?) free.
GCC is free.  There's no need to spend a huge amount of money on a
development system given the nature of the task at hand.

  I'm still not really sure what kinds of use such a system would be
put to anyway.	In particular I've found that keeping track of FT ship
information between games of a campaign can be difficult (and
error-prone).  For use during battle I've never found any need for a
play aid.  Generally when I have a lot of papers it usually seems that
computerizing the system would just slow things down.

  The only time I've used a home-grown compterized play aid was when I
used my Pilot to record drone information during a SFB game.  That was
convenient, but only because the machine is hand-held and I can write
on it.	If I'd had to type in all that crap I wouldn't have done it.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Comments needed on Computer Aides Next: Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.)